About Knutsford Heritage Centre
Knutsford Heritage Centre was established in 1989 and housed in a timber framed building previously known as Musgrave's Yard, a former tinsmith and ironmonger. The centre is run entirely by volunteers and managed by a board of trustees as a registered charity (charity no. 1076917, see Charity Commission profile.). We are a member of the Association of Independent Museums and have the honour of having the Viscount Ashbrook as our patron.
In 2018 Knutsford Heritage Centre was recognised for its outstanding work when it received the Queen's Award for Voluntary Service.
Early History of our Premises
The history of the Knutsford Heritage Centre building and 90 King Street can be traced back to 3rd August 1292, when Knutsford became a market town, after William de Tabley (aka Lord Knutsford) paid for a charter from King Edward 1.
The details of this charter were that the town was to be divided into "burgage plots", each one large enough to build a house and have room for trading in front. These burgage plots were narrow strips of land which stretched from King Street up to what is now Princess Street.
We have a photo in the Heritage Centre showing a row of Georgian buildings added in front of the (now) Heritage Centre building, when an established street line became the fashion. In 1830 this building probably became a workshop known as Musgrave Yard. Musgrave was an ironmonger, tinsmith and brazier.
Around 1855 the smithy behind Musgrave Yard was sub-let to a Mr. Drinkwater, and by 1874 he had expanded behind it into what was known as Red Cow Yard. In 1906 Samuel Lees (the son of Titus Lees) took it over.
In 1934 Samuel left here to run his father's ironmongers shop at 78 King Street. Alan Bleasdale continued the Red Cow Yard business until 1942, when he sold it to a Mr. Taylor. In 1989 the workshop was derelict until rescued by the Groundwork Trust.
- Chris Henretty Chairman
- Val Bryant Manager
- Vivien Hainsworth Archivist
- Rick Dallimore
- Simon Harris
- Jan McCappin
- Jan Nicholson