Contact Us
Phone
Email
Follow Us
Facebook
Twitter
Flickr
Pintestest
Book your guided tour

The Town

Church

In 1832, William Gaskell married the renowned author Elizabeth Gaskell at St. Johns Church.

Knutsford has been home to many famous people including the author Elizabeth Gaskell who wrote Cranford and many other novels, Henry Royce the engineer who in partnership with Charles Rolls created Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, Richard Harding Watt responsible for the town’s Italianate buildings, Trumpet Major Smith of Charge of the Light Brigade fame, and quite a few others. The notorious Highwayman Higgins also lived in Knutsford.

The town’s Italianate buildings include the Gaskell Tower and adjoining early Council Offices now The Belle Epoque restaurant, the Ruskin Rooms and many others especially in Leigh Road where Richard Harding Watt and Henry Royce lived. The town has over 100 listed buildings including the Unitarian Church (Grade I listed) where Elizabeth Gaskell is buried. Also of special note is the Old Town Hall (Grade II) – currently the Lost and Found pub/restaurant, the Sessions Courthouse (Grade II*) – currently the Courthouse Hotel and Restaurant and St Johns Parish Church (Grade II*).

The highlight of the year is Knutsford Royal May Day which began in 1864. The procession winds its way through the town’s narrow streets finishing on the Heath where the crowning of the “May Queen” takes place. It occurs on the first Saturday in May each year when thousands of visitors descend on the town.

Knutsford Heritage Centre has an archive of life in early Knutsford and a comprehensive record of Knutsford Royal May Day and its May Queens dating from 1864.

More Information

For more information about Knutsford visit one of the following websites:
Knutsford Guardian
Knutsford Times
The Gaskell Society: Official website for Gaskell Society news

Parking

To view a parking map in Knutsford, please click here.

Did You Know?

  • Knutsford’s Origins were recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086.
  • It is the childhood home of Elizabeth Gaskell who immortalised Knutsford in many of her works, particularly Cranford.
  • Knutsford May Day parade has taken place every year since 1864 (with a small break during WW1 and WW2) and  since 1887 has  been granted the name of Knutsford Royal May Day.
  • Home to the Millennium Tapestry created by 3,000 members of the local community, each road, street and lane can be seen along with over 500 everyday scenes. The three panels measure 12 metres in total, using 53 metres of canvas, 52 miles of wool and 150 needles in its creation.
  • Famous residents have included Henry Royce, co-founder of the Rolls Royce Motor Company.
  • Knutsford’s Great Race takes place every ten years. A 3 hour endurance race on all shapes and sizes of penny farthings, hobby horses and bone shakers, featuring teams and individuals from all over the world.
  • Richard Harding Watt was a wealthy glove manufacturer with a great love of the northern Italian lakes. The legacy of his many buildings around the town, although slightly eccentric, helps to make Knutsford the attractive market town it is today.
  • American General George Patton was associated with Knutsford in 1944 when he set up an HQ at nearby Peover with his troops based at Toft. He lunched with General Eisenhower at the Bells of Peover, where the table they dined at is still laid with fresh flowers today.
  • “Squire” Higgins, as he was known to his friends of the local gentry, appears to have been of good birth, although much of his origin is obscure. Taking residence in Knutsford about 1756 and becoming accepted by the community as a gentleman. such a life enabled him to become familiar with the layout of the houses of his hosts so that at a later date he was able to sneak back for a spot of burglary. Local folklore claims ‘Highwayman’ Higgins had a tunnel running under ‘The Heath’ to hide his booty. Higgins and his wife dined with their neighbours and he hunted, fished and shot with them.
  • Near the end of the 18th century Lady Jane Stanley, daughter of the 11th Earl of Derby, paid for pavements to be installed in Knutsford. She was a spinster who disapproved of any contact between men and women, even walking side-by-side. She therefore stipulated that the pavement must be so narrow that people could walk only in single file.

friends-of-the-centre

Upcoming Events
Thu 13

A Little Christmas Trail for Families

Saturday, December 1, 2018 - Wednesday, January 2, 2019


Knutsford Heritage Centre opened in 1989 and is run entirely by Volunteers. It collects , displays and interprets the history of Knutsford for the benefit of both local people and visitors.

CONTACT

90A King Street, Knutsford,
Cheshire, WA16 6ED

Tel: 01565 650506
Email: info@knutsfordheritage.co.uk

Copyright 2016 by Knutsford Heritage Centre | Registered Charity No. 1076917