Contact Us
Phone
Email
Follow Us
Facebook
Twitter
Flickr
Pintestest
Book your guided tour

Privacy Statement

The Data Protection Act came into force in 1998 and required all organisations to manage personal data responsibly. This law has now been updated by the EU General Data Protection Regulation which requires more rigorous control of this data as well as informing people how their personal data will be used. To this end Knutsford Heritage Centre has produced a Privacy Statement which states how we implement these regulations. You can read our full Privacy Statement on our Privacy Statement page.

The Inside Story of Knutsford Courthouse and Gaol Revealed

The history of Knutsford Prison, Session’s Court House and Governor’s House are presented in an exhibition at Knutsford Heritage Centre by Val Bryant, who has researched the history of the buildings and their occupants. Val comments “The Exhibition has been a two year long research project, which has been fascinating to do.

“The exhibition charts the history of the Manor Court and Quarter Sessions in Knutsford, and presents a range of photographs from the Sessions Court House, before it was taken over by Flat Cap Hotel Group.”

“In an interesting presentation on Knutsford Gaol, visitors will be able to discover the timeline of the gaol, including its grand opening in 1820.The Gaol layout will be portrayed together with a description of prison life, and the weekly routine of prisoners, not to mention some grisly executions.”

“Knutsford Gaol closed its doors to prisoners in 1915, and was taken over by the War Office for Military Offenders. During WWI the prison housed conscientious objectors, who for one reason or another refused to “take up arms”.”

“After the Easter 1916 uprising in Dublin those arrested were dispersed to various jails throughout England, including almost 600 dissidents sent to Knutsford during May and June. A company of German prisoners were also housed in “A” block, bringing the gaol somewhere near to full capacity.”

“The Governor’s House is featured in the exhibition together with the prison warder’s accommodation in County Terrace and St. John’s Avenue.
Val added: “The exhibition moves on to the post war period, when the prison building was converted to an Ordination Test School to provide theological training for some 320 students.”

“Bringing us up to the current day, the exhibition concludes with the redevelopment of the building, by Flat Cap Hotels, into The Courthouse Hotel that we see today.”

TIS-Flyer_A5

Lt. Douglas Marshall Rigby – A Knutsford WW1 soldier who did not come home.

The Inside Story exhibition encapsulates a sub-exhibition commemorating Lt. Douglas Marshall Rigby, a Knutsford WW1 soldier, who did not come home from the Great War. The exhibition will tell the story of how Douglas’s family supported him during the war, and grieved after his death”

DMR_Flyer_Image_A5

Val Bryant added “It was a pleasure to work alongside Richard Elsner, Lt Rigby’s great nephew, and his son Thomas, on their family history”

The Inside Story exhibition runs up until Saturday 22nd December 2018


 

 

Edward Penny and Knutsford Local Artists Exhibition – 1st May to 28th August

Our current exhibition features the life and artworks of Edward Penny RA, who lived in Silk Mill Street, Knutsford.

Edward Penny was a founder member of the Royal Academy of Art; you can find out more about the Academy he was instrumental in creating in this video here (https://vimeo.com/126897602).

We will also be hosting Knutsford local artists Diana Bernice Tackley and Lindsay Brogan who will be  demonstrating their painting techniques in our Garden Gallery during the summer months. Please see our “Events” page for more information.

In addition four local artists will be  displaying  their works in the gallery – Sheila Scholes, Emma Williams, Steve Wall and Diane Birkett; short biographies of each artist will be on display.

Edward-Penny-leaflet-A5

 


 

friends-of-the-centre

Upcoming Events

There are no upcoming events at this time.



Knutsford Heritage Centre opened in 1989 and is run entirely by Volunteers. It collects , displays and interprets the history of Knutsford for the benefit of both local people and visitors.

CONTACT

90A King Street, Knutsford,
Cheshire, WA16 6ED

Tel: 01565 650506
Email: info@knutsfordheritage.co.uk

Copyright 2016 by Knutsford Heritage Centre | Registered Charity No. 1076917